Flank Steak and Arugula Salad
For a tasty salad dressing without oil, we mixed salsa with some vinegar. You can use any prepared salsa: hot or mild, red or green, plain or fruity.
Everyday Food, June 2005
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound flank steak
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 large bunches arugula (about 1 1/4 pounds), thick stems discarded
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub spice mixture evenly over flank steak to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add steak; cook until browned on one side, 5 to 8 minutes. Turn; cook until browned on other side, 5 to 8 minutes for medium-rare (reduce heat if browning too quickly). Remove steak from skillet; let rest at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together salsa and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Add arugula; toss to coat with dressing. Divide among four plates; serve with steak, and crumble goat cheese over the top.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.