Scrambled Egg in the Hole
Everyday Food, March 2007
- 1 large egg
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 slice crusty Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 ounce extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon cold water; season with salt and pepper. Using the rim of a small glass, cut a hole in bread; discard cutout.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium until foaming. Place bread in skillet; carefully pour egg mixture into hole (if egg leaks out of the bread, use a spatula to push it back). Sprinkle egg with cheese.
- Cook until egg begins to set, 3 to 4 minutes; gently flip bread and egg. Continue cooking until egg is set, 1 to 2 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.