Everyday Food, December 2009
- Yield Makes enough dough for 8 empanadas
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons each minced fresh sage and thyme
- 3/4 cups (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups ice water
- In a food processor, pulse all-purpose flour
(spooned and leveled), baking powder, and coarse salt. Add minced
fresh sage and thyme; pulse until combined. Add cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces; pulse
until mixture is the texture of coarse meal, with a few
pea-size pieces butter remaining. Add 1 cup ice water; pulse
until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed
(add up to 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed).
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and
knead just until dough comes together, 4 to 5 times.
Freeze baked empanadas up to 1 month. Warm in a 400 degree oven for about
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.