Melt any excess chocolate that drips onto the baking pan, strain it, and reserve for future use.
- 12 chocolate wafer cookies
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 pints coconut sorbet
- 12 whole almonds
- 26 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Set a wire rack over a baking pan. Arrange the wafers, top sides down, on rack, spaced evenly apart. Place 2 teaspoons shredded coconut in the center of each wafer. Using a 2-inch ice-cream scoop, scoop a ball of coconut sorbet onto each wafer. Place an almond on top of each scoop of sorbet. Transfer pan to freezer for 20 minutes.
- In a double boiler, or a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Melt chocolate and shortening, stirring occasionally. Remove bowl from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Remove baking pan from freezer. Generously ladle melted chocolate over the bonbons, covering entirely. Return the baking pan to the freezer for 30 minutes more or overnight. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.