Pasta with Black Pepper and Parmesan
This recipe, courtesy of chef Cesare Casella of Beppe restaurant in New York City, combines just a few simple ingredients for a surprising degree of flavor.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2002
- 1 pound durum or all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Semolina flour, for dusting
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Stock Homemade Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/261561/homemade-chicken-stock), or low-sodium canned
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Prepare the pasta: Mound durum flour on a clean work surface. Make a well in the center. Crack eggs into the well. Add 2 tablespoons oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. With a fork, whisk the eggs, slowly incorporating the flour. Slowly drizzle the water, one tablespoon at a time, into the egg mixture. When the dough holds together, begin kneading the dough to work in the remainder of the flour. Continue to knead until the dough is smooth, about 10 minutes. Form into a ball, and wrap in plastic. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Dust a baking sheet with semolina; set aside. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a rope, about 1/2 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, slice the dough crosswise into slices 1/16 inch thick. Using your thumb, press the slices into coinlike pieces. They should be slightly larger than a quarter. Transfer to prepared baking sheet; set aside for 30 minutes to dry.
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add the reserved pasta, and cook until al dente, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain; reserving stock. In a large saute pan, heat remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the pasta and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Add 1 1/2 cups reserved stock. Bring to a boil, stirring gently to combine. Reduce the heat to medium low, and let simmer for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and parsley; stir to combine. Let simmer for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, and ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.