- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Coarse salt
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, cook 3 3/4 cups water and sugar over medium-high heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in lime zest and juice, tequila, and orange juice. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Pour mixture into a shallow dish; cool, then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze until set, 6 hours or overnight. Using the tines of a fork, scrape mixture until flakes form. Freeze (covered) until ready to serve. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Chilling the dish in the freezer before pouring in the lime mixture will help the granita freeze faster.