Everyday Food, January/February 2003
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
Yield Makes 8 to 12
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in vegetable shortening and butter. Stir in buttermilk.
- Knead dough four or five times. Pat out dough 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a long sharp knife, cut dough into squares or rectangles.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet until golden, about 12 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.