- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 skinless salmon fillets, (6 ounces each)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat broiler. Combine lentils and 2 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Add onion and celery; cover, and continue cooking until lentils and vegetables are just tender, 15 to 25 minutes more. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Transfer lentils and vegetables to a medium bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons reserved cooking liquid with vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic, and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Toss half the dressing with the lentil mixture.
- Meanwhile, season salmon with salt and pepper. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange salmon on sheet; broil until opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Spoon lentils onto plates; top with salmon, flaking it into large pieces, if desired. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Chopped celery leaves add wonderful flavor to the lentils. Use them in place of or in addition to the parsley.