This British dessert is traditionally served at Eton College's annual July 4 prize-giving celebration.
Photography: GENTL & HYERS
Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled pink or white meringue cookies (about 4 ounces)
- Gently stir together strawberries and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cover, and let stand at room temperature until juices are released, at least 30 minutes (or refrigerate overnight).
- Coarsely crush berries using a potato masher. Whisk together cream and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold in cookies and berries (with juices) until almost combined but ribbons of juice remain. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.