It takes just thirty minutes to make and keeps for at least one month. Brush the sauce on ribs or whatever you may be barbecuing.
Everyday Food, July/August 2005
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Makes 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in mustard powder and red-pepper flakes; cook 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire, vinegar, molasses, and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
Let the sauce cool completely before transferring to airtight containers and storing in the refrigerator (label and date).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.