Green Beans with Tomatoes
Simple and wholesome, this dish can be easily matched with any main course.
Everyday Food, March 2006
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and oregano, and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- To skillet, add tomatoes and their puree, breaking up tomatoes
with a spoon or your fingers; stir to combine. Add green beans, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until green beans are soft, about 30 minutes. Serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.