Spaghetti and Meatballs
This pasta favorite is guaranteed to please every member of your family.
Everyday Food, September 2006
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour
- Serves 4
- 1 medium onion, grated (1 cup)
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- Heat broiler with rack 4 inches from heat source. In a medium bowl, mix 1/4 cup onion, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, egg, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until combined. Add beef; mix gently until combined. With moistened hands, form beef mixture into 16 balls (each equal to 2 level tablespoons). Place on a rimmed baking sheet, and broil until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add carrot, remaining 3/4 cup onion, and remaining 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning; season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and add meatballs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Ten minutes before meatballs are cooked, add pasta to boiling water; cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot. Add meatballs and tomato sauce to pasta; toss to combine. Serve, with additional Parmesan if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.