Let guests pick and choose from the suggested mix-ins and toppings: toasted corn tortilla strips, lime wedges, shredded cheese, green peppers, scallions, avocado, and cilantro sprigs.
Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 1 cup shredded (5 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 large scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro sprigs
- lime, cut in wedges
For the Soup
- 4 (about 1 1/2 pounds) skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno chile, diced (with seeds for more heat)
- 6 corn tortillas, (6 inches)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, bring chicken, broth, jalapeno, and 8 cups of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; let cool.
- Brush both sides of tortillas with oil, stacking them as you go. Cut stack in half, and then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Place strips on a rimmed baking sheet; bake, tossing strips occasionally, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, skim fat from surface of broth in pot, and strain liquid through a sieve into a clean pot (you should have about 8 cups). Shred chicken with a fork or with your fingers, and return it to the pot. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Divide soup among serving bowls, and add tortilla strips. Garnish as desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.