Breaded Chicken Cutlets
Everyone loves breaded cutlets: Cut them into strips for children, and offer a simple dipping sauce. Make a quick relish for the adults.
Everyday Food, September 2005
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 8 (1 1/2 pounds) chicken cutlets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Olive Relish (http://www.marthastewart.com/282226/olive-relish)
- For the Kids (Serves 2): In a small bowl, combine ketchup and mayonnaise; set sauce aside. In a shallow dish, combine flour with a pinch of salt. In another dish, whisk together egg, 1 tablespoon water, and a pinch of salt. In a third dish, stir together breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Working with one at a time, dredge cutlets in the flour to coat completely, then shake off excess flour. Dip the floured chicken in the egg mixture, turning to coat completely. Let excess drip off. Place cutlet in the breadcrumb mixture, patting it in and turning to coat both sides. Shake off any excess crumbs before proceeding.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium; swirl to coat. Add 4 cutlets; cook until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken. Cut half the cutlets into strips; serve with sauce.
- For the Adults (Serves 2): Serve remaining cutlets with Olive Relish.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.