Pepper-Crusted Filet Mignon
Filet mignons are often sold with a string tied around them to help keep their shape while cooking. Otherwise, tie them loosely with cotton kitchen twine yourself. (Be sure to remove strings before serving.)
Everyday Food, January/February 2006
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes
- Serves 2
- 2 filet mignons, (5 to 6 ounces each, about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- Coarse salt and very coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Red Wine Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/281741/red-wine-sauce), for serving (optional)
- Season filets very generously on both sides with salt and pepper (especially pepper), patting in firmly.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high. Cook filets until desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes per side (depending on thickness) for medium-rare.
- Remove strings from filets, and serve with Red Wine Sauce, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.