Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, unhulled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1 large egg white
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse flour, salt, black pepper, lemon zest, cayenne, thyme, and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, add 1/4 cup cold water; process until dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to lightly floured surface, and divide it into 2 equal parts. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2-inch circles, and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush egg white over rounds; sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sesame seeds and coarse salt. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until firm to the touch. Let cool on wire rack. Store in an airtight plastic container, at room temperature, up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.