- 3 pounds tomatoes (beefsteak or plum)
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use a sharp paring knife to core the tomatoes. Cut tomatoes in half; transfer to one large (or two smaller) rimmed baking sheet; add onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme.
- Toss tomato mixture with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer (turn tomatoes cut side down). Roast until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. If vegetables begin to brown too quickly, push them toward the center of the sheet.
- Using tongs or your fingers, peel off tomato skins; discard. Transfer mixture (including juices) to a blender; pulse several times, until chunky. Let cool completely; transfer to an airtight container.
Other Ways To Use Sauce: Add diced olives or capers, and spoon over sauteed or baked chicken breasts; Thin with broth, water, or heavy cream for a hot soup; Mix in chopped fresh basil, and drizzle over broiled white fish; Use in your favorite lasagna and pizza recipes.