In this updated classic, lamb is marinated in lemon, rosemary, and oregano and grilled on skewers, then served with a tart tomato relish and peppery marinated feta.
Photography: Kate Sears
Martha Stewart Living, August 2007
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless leg of lamb (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 red onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 whole pitas
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing tomatoes
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 thin strip (3 inches long) lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon whole pink peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 pound Greek feta, thinly sliced
- For the kebabs: Combine oil, lemon juice, herbs, and garlic. Combine marinade and lamb. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Make the tomato relish: Preheat grill to medium-high. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 3 or 4 seconds.) Brush tomatoes with oil, and season with salt. Grill until charred and softened, about 5 minutes per side. Coarsely chop, then place in a sieve set over a bowl. Let drain for 10 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook shallot until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add water and sugar, and simmer until liquid has reduced by half. Add tomatoes and vinegar, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cayenne. Let cool.
- Make the marinated feta: Combine oil, lemon zest and juice, dill, pink and black peppercorns, and red-pepper flakes in a nonreactive dish. Add feta, and turn to coat. Marinate until ready to serve (no longer than 1 hour or cheese will begin to break down).
- Thread lamb and onions onto 8 skewers, alternating. Thread a lemon wedge onto one end of each skewer. Season with salt and pepper. Grill until a meat thermometer inserted into lamb registers 130 degrees for medium-rare and onions and lemons are caramelized, about 5 minutes per side. To serve, place each kebab on top of a whole pita, pull out the skewer, and top lamb with relish. Crumble feta over top.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.