Butternut Squash and Apple Puree
Everyday Food, December 2006
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 8
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large butternut squash (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 Gala or other sweet apples (about two pounds total), peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium; add onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add squash, apples, and 1 cup water. Cover, and simmer until squash is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. (If skillet becomes dry, add a little water; if liquid has not evaporated by the time squash is cooked, drain.)
- Transfer squash mixture to a food processor. Add remaining butter; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper; serve. (If serving later, gently reheat in a medium saucepan over low.)
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.