This simple-to-make pear tart is sure to become a staple in your baking repertoire.
- Prep Time 35 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes, plus cooling
- Serves 8
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 disk Pate Brisee (http://www.marthastewart.com/284142/pate-brisee)
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut up
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 8 large canned pear halves, well drained, patted dry, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 12-inch round. Fit dough into a 9-inch removable bottom tart pan lifting into and pressing up sides. Refrigerate while you prepare almond cream (frangipane).
- In a food processor, pulse almonds and sugar until finely ground. Add butter, egg, flour, salt, and extract and process until well combined.
- Spread 1/4 cup jam over bottom of tart shell. Spread almond filling over; chill 15 minutes. Arrange pear slices on top, fanning them out. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and almond cream is puffed and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool in the pan. Remove from pan. Melt remaining jam and brush over tart. Cool before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.