Sweet Onion Dip
Skip the prefab dips in the market; this cooked Vidalia dip is beyond better. The onions are subdued to begin with; cooking them concentrates their sugars for extra sweetness.
Everyday Food, July 2007
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield Makes 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Vidalia onions (1 pound total), finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Potato chips, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine onions, sour cream, cream cheese, vinegar, and chives; season with salt and pepper. Chill dip until slightly thickened, about 1 hour; or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Serve with chips.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.