Shortcut your way to wonderful pies all summer by preparing the topping ahead and keeping it in the freezer. Or toast the topping on a baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes, and sprinkle over ice cream, frozen yogurt, or fresh fruit.
Everyday Food, July/August 2003
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield Makes 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- In a bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup light-brown sugar, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and cinnamon.
- Cut 1 1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter into pieces. With your hands, work in butter pieces, until large clumps form. Divide mixture in half; freeze in plastic storage bags.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.