Oven-Baked Shoestring Fries
Prepare a steakhouse-worthy feast by pairing these crispy fries with our hanger steak recipe.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2011
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking sheets
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using a mandoline, cut the potatoes into ultra-thin shapes (or "shoestrings"). You can do this up to four hours ahead; to prevent discoloration, place cut potatoes in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator until ready to use, then gently pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly coat two baking sheets with oil. Toss together potatoes, oil, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Dividing evenly among prepared baking sheets, arrange potatoes in a single layer.
- Bake, turning potatoes with a metal spatula a few times and rotating sheets halfway through, until crisp and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a large piece of parchment paper; let cool 5 minutes, then season with salt and pepper, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.