Chocolate Chip Meringues
Everyday Food, May/June 2003
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield Makes 30
- 4 egg whites, warmed in the shell (submerge whole eggs in warm water)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar (1 tablespoon every five seconds), and continue to beat until meringue is stiff and glossy, about 1 1/2 minutes more. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop meringue by scant 1/4 cups onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until dry and just golden brown, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Let cool on baking sheets.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.