Luxurious Mashed Potatoes
You can make mashed potatoes up to 1 day ahead. Reheat at 350 degrees in a foil-covered baking dish for 10 to 20 minutes.
Everyday Food, November 2009
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, warmed
- In a large pot, cover potatoes by 2 inches with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Drain thoroughly and pass potatoes through a ricer or food mill into pot.
- Over low heat, add butter and stir until melted. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until potatoes are stiff, about 1 minute. Gradually add cream, stirring constantly to combine. Using a rubber spatula, pass potatoes through a fine-mesh sieve. Season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.