Be sure to pack stuffing tightly in the zucchini shells so it doesn't fall out as it cooks.
Everyday Food, April 2006
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Serves 8
- 4 medium zucchini, (6 to 8 ounces each), halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 7 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Using a tablespoon, scoop out zucchini centers to form "canoes," leaving a 1/4-inch border. Roughly chop centers; set aside.
- Arrange zucchini, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chopped zucchini, and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Fold in feta and tomatoes.
- Turn hollowed-out zucchini cut sides up, fill with vegetable-feta mixture, and bake until top is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Lift zucchini from baking sheet with a wide spatula, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.