Peppered Steak Sandwiches
You can use a less expensive steak than we've suggested, such as London broil-just marinate it overnight in a mixture of oil and vinegar.
Martha Stewart Living, November/December 1991
- 2 boneless strip steaks, (about 3/4 pound each)
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 baguette
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 pound Roquefort cheese
- Caramelized Onions (http://www.marthastewart.com/258017/caramelized-onions)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Trim excess fat from steaks. Dry them well, coat all sides with cracked pepper, and refrigerate until needed.
- Split baguette in half lengthwise. Toast in the oven until golden brown. Drizzle with olive oil, and rub lightly with garlic clove.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat, and sear the steaks on both sides. Turn heat down to medium, and cook to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Sprinkle with salt, and let steaks sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut toasted baguette into four equal pieces. Make four sandwiches, placing thinly sliced steak atop slices of Roquefort, then sprinkling with caramelized onions and rosemary. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.