Crunchy Green Bean Salad
This salad of string beans, endive, honey-baked pecans, and tart dried cranberries is a perfect side dish for any fall feast.
Martha Stewart Living, October 1999
- 1/2 cup honey
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups pecans
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 2 pounds string beans, trimmed
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed and sliced lengthwise
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place honey and cayenne in a small saucepan; heat until warm. Stir in nuts. Line a baking pan with a Silpat (a French nonstick baking mat). Pour mixture onto Silpat. Bake until dark-golden brown, about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt. Slowly drizzle in walnut oil, whisking constantly, until mixture is emulsified. Set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water; set aside. Bring a medium stockpot of water to a boil. Add string beans; cook just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain immediately; immerse in ice water. Remove,
pat dry; place in a large bowl. Toss with reserved dressing. Add reserved nuts, dried cranberries, and sliced endive. Add pepper to taste; toss gently. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.