Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
- 3 pounds red and white onions (about 15 small onions)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Peel the onions, and trim roots, leaving enough to keep onion intact. Cut them lengthwise in halves or quarters, depending on their size.
- Place in a large skillet with butter, sugar, salt, pepper, and enough water to come halfway up sides of onions. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to medium-low, and cook, covered, until the onions are tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover, raise the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, 30 to 40 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.