Balsamic Fig Sauce
This sauce is the perfect accompaniment to Chicken Paillards with Prosciutto and Figs.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1996
- 1 pound fresh figs, preferably Black Mission, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Combine all ingredients with 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer; cook, partially covered, until fruit has broken down, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly; remove thyme sprig. Press mixture through a large-holed sieve with a rubber spatula.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.