These elegant coconut chews are crowned with rich chocolate. Unsweetened coconut is available in health-food stores.
Holiday Cookies 2001, Special Issue 2001
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 5 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vegetable shortening
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a large bowl, using your hands, mix together sugar, coconut, egg whites, and salt. Add butter and extracts, and combine well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Moisten palms of hands with cold water. Roll 1 tablespoon of the coconut mixture in palms, squeezing tightly together 2 or 3 times to form a compact ball. Place ball on a clean surface, and using a spatula, flatten one side at a time to form a pyramid shape.
- Place pyramids on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart, and bake until edges are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Leave on baking sheet on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place chocolate and shortening in a small heat-proof bowl, and set over a pan of simmering water; stir occasionally until melted. Dip top 1/2 inch of each pyramid in the melted chocolate. Set each dipped macaroon on cooled baking sheet to allow chocolate to harden.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.