Egg-Yolk Butter and Asparagus Tea Sandwiches
Martha Stewart Living, April 2002
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for cooking water
- 1 bunch (about 1 pound) asparagus, tough ends removed
- 16 slices thin white bread
- Peel eggs, and remove yolks; reserve whites for another use. With a wooden spoon, mash yolks in a small bowl. Add mayonnaise, butter, mustard, vinegar, and salt; stir until smooth. Cover, and refrigerate yolk butter until ready to use.
- Prepare an ice bath; set aside. Fill a large skillet with 1 inch of water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add a dash of salt, and asparagus, and blanch until just tender and bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Place asparagus in ice bath to stop cooking and chill completely. Transfer to paper towels to drain, and set aside.
- Spread butter on two slices of bread. Layer one slice with asparagus; place the other slice on top of it. Gently trim crusts with a serrated knife. Cut into finger sandwiches. Cover with a damp paper towel until ready to serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.