Rice Pilaf with Tomatoes
Everyday Food, January/February 2006
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; add onion and rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until rice is golden, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes (and their juice), thyme, and 1 cup water; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, tightly covered, until rice is tender, about 18 minutes. Let stand off heat, covered, 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff rice gently with fork before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.