To store, transfer pesto to a container, pressing plastic wrap directly on its surface (to prevent it from oxidizing and turning dark). Refrigerate up to five days.
Everyday Food, June 2006
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until golden and fragrant, tossing once, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet to prevent further browning. Let cool completely. In a food processor, combine nuts, basil, cheese, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Process until finely chopped. With machine running, pour oil in a steady stream through the feed tube; process until smooth.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.