Everyday Food, November 2003
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 rinsed anchovies, (optional)
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, and their juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions; drain; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and anchovies, if desired, mashing them with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add whole tomatoes and their juice, breaking up tomatoes with hands. Stir in capers and olives. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Toss with pasta; season with salt and pepper.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.