15-Minute White Bean Soup
This hearty soup is perfect for lunch or a light supper.
Everyday Food, December 2008
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (19 ounces) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add scallions, garlic, and oregano; cook, stirring frequently, until scallions begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth and beans; cook until heated through, about 4 minutes. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, lightly mash some of the beans to thicken the soup. Stir in lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan.
To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.