- 16 ounces dark or semisweet chocolate or a combination, finely chopped
- 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for rolling
- Place chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, heat cream until it begins to simmer; pour over chocolate. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand 10 minutes. Uncover and whisk chocolate mixture until smooth. Mix in vanilla and salt. Pour into a 9-inch pie plate and let cool 15 minutes. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until completely set, about 3 hours.
- With a melon baller, a 1-inch scoop, or a teaspoon, scoop out chocolate mixture and place on parchment paper. Coat hands with cocoa and roll truffles into balls; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes. (To store, cover with plastic and refrigerate, up to 2 weeks.) Roll in finely chopped nuts or more cocoa powder, or brush with luster dust just before serving or packing.
Decorate truffles by rolling them in cocoa, finely chopped nuts, or sprinkles. For a festive touch, brush them with luster dust, an edible powder available online. Mix colored sugars (or use leftover sugar from your work surface) to create new shades.