Herbed Mashed Potatoes
Prepare mashed potatoes, omitting herbs, up to 1 day ahead; refrigerate. Reheat in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water; stir in herbs.
Photography: David Loftus
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 8
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- Place potatoes in a large pot; cover with cold water by 1 inch, and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Drain; return potatoes to pot.
- Stir potatoes over medium heat until dry (a film of starch will form on bottom of pot), about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, combine half-and-half and butter; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Pour half of hot liquid over potatoes. Mash just until smooth, adding more liquid to reach desired consistency. Stir in parsley and chives; season with salt. Garnish with more herbs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.