Rice Pilaf with Almonds
Everyday Food, April 2004
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, (or 1 3/4 cups water)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in coriander, and season with salt and pepper. Add rice, and cook, stirring, until the edges of the rice kernels are transparent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth or water. Bring to a boil; cover, and simmer over low heat until liquid has absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread almonds in one layer on a baking sheet; bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir parsley into the rice mixture. Serve sprinkled with almonds.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.