Chocolate Ice Cream
Homemade ice cream is delicious and surprisingly easy. With just 20 minutes of prep, create frosty treats ready for cones, floats, and more!
Everyday Food, June 2009
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes, plus freezing
- Yield Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt until blended. Stir cocoa powder into egg-yolk mixture. Gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard thickens slightly and evenly coats back of spoon (it should hold a line drawn by your finger), 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl set over ice. Stir in cream. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until chilled. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to a resealable plastic container and freeze until firm, about 2 hours (or up to 3 months).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.