Tomato and Grilled-Bread Salad
This Tuscan salad is a wonderful way to use up day-old bread: Use coarse-textured, good-quality bread. You can improvise by adding olives, anchovies, or canned tuna.
Everyday Food: Great Food Fast
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 1/2 pound country bread, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat grill to medium. Brush bread slices on both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill until lightly charred on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into large cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with tomatoes, cucumber, and basil. Drizzle with vinegar and remaining 1/4 cup oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.