Slow-Cooker Sweet-and-Sour Country Ribs
Start these ribs in the morning, and they'll be perfectly tender by dinnertime.
Everyday Food, October 2008
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 6 1/4 hours
- Yield Serves 8
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 pounds country-style pork ribs, separated into single ribs
- Barbecue sauce, for serving (optional)
- In slow cooker, whisk together ketchup, sugar, vinegar, mustard powder, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add ribs to slow cooker, and toss with sauce. Arrange ribs, bone side up, in a single row. Cover; cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).
- Serve ribs drizzled with pan juices and, if desired, barbecue sauce.
Oven method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In step 1, use a 5-quart Dutch oven or ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid; add 1 cup water. Cover; bake until ribs are tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Proceed with step 3.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.