Roasted Eggplant Dip
Roasting the eggplant in its skin steams the flesh, turning it soft and silky -- great for a dip to serve with pita wedges.
Everyday Food, June 2009
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 garlic cloves (skin on)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Paprika, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place eggplant and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet and rub with 2 tablespoons oil. Roast until garlic is soft and golden, 20 minutes. Remove garlic and set aside. Continue to roast eggplant until soft and deflated, 20 to 25 minutes more. Let cool 20 minutes.
- Slice eggplant open and scrape flesh into the bowl of a food processor. Peel garlic and add to bowl, along with lemon juice, tahini, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil. Process until smooth. (To store, refrigerate, up to 2 days.) Serve drizzled with more oil and a sprinkle of paprika if desired.
Refrigerate, up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.