- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 3 large lemons
- 18 bay leaves
- 2 1/4 pounds swordfish, trimmed of skin and fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine garlic, cumin, chili powder, vinegar, molasses, and orange and lime juices in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat, and set aside. Halve lemons crosswise, and cut each half into 4 wedges.
- On each of six long metal skewers, arrange 4 lemon wedges, 3 bay leaves, 3 pieces of fish, and 2 tomatoes. Kabobs can be prepared up to this point and refrigerated for up to 6 hours before cooking.
- Heat grill to medium hot. Sprinkle kabobs with the salt and pepper, and spoon glaze over them. Grill until fish is opaque to the center and lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side; brush with glaze several times while cooking. Remove skewers, and serve.
Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes before using to prevent charring