Roasted Beets and Shallots
Look for bunched beets rather than loose ones; they're usually fresher.
Martha Stewart Living, May 1995
- 7 medium beets, (about 2 1/4 pounds), scrubbed and trimmed
- 10 large shallots, (about 10 ounces), unpeeled, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets and shallots in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss well, and transfer vegetables to a large roasting pan.
- Cover pan with foil, and place in oven. Bake until beets are tender when pierced with a knife, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel beets and shallots, and cut beets into 1-inch pieces. Combine in a serving bowl. Add sherry vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and toss well to combine. Serve immediately, or set aside until ready to serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.