Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse
For a simple garnish, shave chocolate from the side of a chocolate bar with a vegetable peeler.
Everyday Food, January/February 2006
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 3 hours
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Finely chop chocolate; reserve. In a double boiler, whisk yolks, sugar, and salt until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes. Off heat, quickly whisk in chopped chocolate until melted and cocoa until smooth (mixture will be thick). Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Whisk half of whipped cream into room-temperature chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream with a rubber spatula. Divide mousse among four serving dishes. Chill at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Remove mousse from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with shaved chocolate.
To store mousse, place a paper towel under the plastic wrap (without touching mousse) before sealing for refrigeration. The paper towel will absorb the drops of condensation that might otherwise drip onto the surface.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.