Glazed Pearl Onions
Everyday Food, November 2003
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar; season with salt and pepper. Add 2/3 cup water and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
The longer the pearl onions cook, the sweeter and more caramelized they will become. Toss with a little balsamic vinegar, if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.