Lightened-Up Oyster Po'Boys
A simple sandwich of fried oysters with dollops of remoulade on a toasted whole-wheat bun makes for a lunch with Louisiana mojo. Our version calls for tossing the oysters in whipped egg whites, dredging them in toasted cornmeal, and then "oven-frying" on a baking sheet, with just a few spritzes of vegetable oil. The oyster's delicate texture and briny flavor are better preserved this way than in skillet-frying, and the cornmeal's nuttiness is brought to the surface.Fun fact: This sandwich is also known as a peacemaker. The lore is that when men brought one home after a late night out, their wives forgot they were angry.
For Assembling Sandwiches
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 3 large romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
For the Oysters
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 16 shucked large oysters (8 ounces), preferably Blue Point
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
For the White Remoulade
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat (2 percent) plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic-dill pickles
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon brine-packed capers, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- Make the remoulade: Stir together all ingredients; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make the oysters: Bake cornmeal on a rimmed baking sheet, stirring halfway through, until pale gold, 10 to 12 minutes. (It may begin to smoke.) Let cool. Transfer to a bowl; stir in cayenne.
- Heat baking sheet on lower rack of oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk whites until frothy but still loose, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Add oysters, and mix to coat completely. Dredge each oyster in cornmeal mixture, shaking off any excess; transfer to a plate. (You should use only about 1/2 cup cornmeal.) Generously coat oysters with cooking spray.
- Line warmed baking sheet with parchment. Transfer oysters, sprayed side down, to sheet. Coat generously with cooking spray. Bake until cooked through and just turning golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Preheat broiler with rack in top position. Toast buns, split side up, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Divide remoulade evenly among bun halves. Sandwich oysters and lettuce between buns. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.