After you've roasted the turkey, use all the flavorful vegetables and cooking juices in the roasting pan to make a rich-tasting gravy.
Everyday Food, November 2004
- 1 cup dry sherry or red wine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 8 cups water
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Place roasting pan on stove across two burners. Bring pan liquids to a boil over high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very brown, 5 to 15 minutes.
- Pour off (and discard) all but 1/4 cup fat from pan. Add wine; cook, stirring constantly, until syrupy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring, until browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add water, and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until gravy reaches desired consistency, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Discard large solids, and strain gravy through a fine-mesh sieve. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm or reheat just before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.