10-Minute Shrimp and Tortilla Soup
Try skinless striped bass or chicken breast, cut into pieces, instead of the shrimp.
Everyday Food, May 2010
- 4 corn tortilla, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo (seeds removed)
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh corn (from 4 ears corn) or frozen corn
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime (optional), for serving
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss tortilla with 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt. Cook until onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add chipotle and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add corn and cook until tender, 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 1 minute. Serve soup with tortilla strips and desired toppings.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.